Andrew H. Hales
Area: Social Psychology
Postdoc, University of Virginia (2020)
Ph.D., Purdue University (2017)
M.S., Purdue University (2014)
B.A., University of Nevada, Reno (2011)
Dr. Hales researches social ostracism. Why are some people left out but not others? Why does it hurt so bad to be left out, and what can people do to feel better if they are ostracized? And, if being left out hurts so bad, why do people often ostracize others? Dr. Hales uses experimental methods to answer these and related questions.
- Social Ostracism: Precipitating factors, consequences, and coping strategies
- Social Influence: Compliance and image maintenance
- Decision-Making: Strategies that people employ when improving things
- Replicability: Best research practices
Dr. Hales plans to accept a graduate student for the 2024-2025 academic year.
- Psy 315: Personality
- Psy 703: Quantitative Methods in Psychology I
- Psy 751: History and Systems of Psychology