Andrew H. Hales
Area: Social Psychology
Postdoc, University of Virginia
Ph.D., Purdue University (2017)
M.S., Purdue University (2014)
B.A., University of Nevada, Reno (2011)
- Psy 315: Personality
- Psy 703: Quantitative Methods in Psychology I
Dr. Hales’s research focuses on the causes and consequences of social ostracism, and social influence more generally. Why does it hurt to be left out? What can people do to feel better if they are ostracized? Dr. Hales uses experimental methods to answer these and related questions.
- Social Ostracism: Precipitating factors, consequences, and coping strategies
- Social Influence: Compliance and image maintenance
- Decision-Making: Strategies that people employ when improving things
- Replicability: Best research practices
Dr. Hales will review graduate student applications for the 2022-2023 academic year.